NHS Big Tea is a national event encouraging the people of the UK to host or attend a tea party in celebration of your local NHS, and to raise some money for enhancements to services that go beyong the standard NHS funding.
Between the dates of 24 June - 7 July, we encourage you to enjoy a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake with family, friends, or colleagues and raise some money for your local NHS services. Register your interest by clicking the link below and we will send you a promotional invite poster.
You can also find recipes for tea-friendly treats and (PG) tips on ways to make your tea party one to remember below.
Our top (PG) tips!
- Don't worry about the fine china. If you want to use your best teaware, by all means go ahead, but we find tea tastes just as good from an odd mug found at the back of the cupboard!
- Decorate! Is there anything more British than bunting? Well, apart from tea... Get those creative juices flowing and spruce up for your tea party.
- We find that cake is always a good way to attract a crowd! Use one of the recipes below to lure your guests to your tea party.
- Consider a raffle, tombola or white elephant game at your tea party. A great way to raise extra money while having fun.
- Don't forget we're here to help! If you would like any help promoting your tea party, we would be more than happy to assist! We'd also love to hear how it all went and share some snaps of your tea party. Get in touch here.
What's your tea-tipple?
While nothing quite beats the classic British cup of tea, there are other varieties available for you to enjoy at your tea party. Why not spice things up with one of these al-tea-natives:
Peppermint - Refreshing, tasty and naturally caffeine-free!
Darjeerling - Grown in the Darjeerling district in West Bengal, India, this tea has a floral aroma and is sometimes knows as "The Champagne of Teas".
Earl Grey - Flavoured with oil of bergamot, the rind's fragrant oil is added to black tea to give a unique flavour.
Jasmine - Subtly sweet and highly fragrant thanks to the jasmine blossom scents that give it its name, this tea is the most famous scented tea in China.
Hot chocolate with whipped cream and extra marshmallows - For those with a sweet tooth that a cup of tea just won't satisfy!
No tea party would be complete without a delicious sweet treat. Below are some recipes for some of our favourite snacks that perfectly compliment a nice cup of tea, from the classics to the experiemental - get baking!
Classic Victoria Sandwich - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1997/classic-victoria-sandwich
Best Ever Chocolate Brownies - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1223/bestever-brownies
Lemon Drizzle Cake - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4942/lemon-drizzle-cake
Jaffa Drizzle Loaf - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1927/jaffa-drizzle-loaf
Classic Scones with jam & clotted cream - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4622/classic-scones-with-jam-and-clotted-cream